Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default Thank you. Was OT. Ubuntu best Linux for beginner

On 15/06/2010 19:51, Invisible Man wrote:
I have a laptop with no Windows license (apart from a PC with Windows 7
64 bit and a PC with XP SP3).

Thought I might try Linux. Is Ubuntu the easiest and most stable to
start with?

Any advice on pitfalls etc.

Laptop has a 30 day install of XP on the c drive. Do I use another
partition for the linux software and the third for other files?

TIA for any replies. I have been using MS Windows PCs since 3.1 and
anticipate a steep learning curve.

Many thanks for the various replies.

Have downloaded the Ubuntu install file, burnt it to CD & installed it
with no problems at all. All very straightforward.

Have used firefox and thunderbird for years.

M$ applications have caused much more grief in the past.

If only I could sort out Nokia's software. Latest version of maps on my
N86 means I have to re-boot to turn off GPS! No answers on the forum
where others are having the same problem. Nokia/Ovi have become
unreliable and very economical with the truth. I have bought my last Nokia.