Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I know how a medical tank was handled. I don't know anything about
a welding tank. The oxygen may be pure going in, but I don't know
what was in the tank beforehand.

So you are speculating that the average compressed-gas retailer or
supplier does not perform the same steps to evacuate / clean / what-ever
/ a welding tank that he (or you) does with a medical tank.

I'm not speculalting; you are. I said I did not know but you are trying to
twist that. . Please don't lower yourself that way; it is not very
becoming. .

I'm not stuck on decades information, my son owns a medical supply
company that supplies oxygen.

So you have a vested interest to maintain the impression that the
average citizen shouldn't or can't use less expensive welding oxygen
tanks in place of "medical" certified tanks for breathing or as a
respiratory aid.

I have a vested interest in supplying proper care for patients. I'm not
maintaining any impression, I'm dealing with facts.
If it does not have that piece of paper, it is not medical oxygen. By
supplying anything else, a supplier can be sued, can lose accreditation. I
have a vested interest in complying with regulations. Use what you want,
but you won't get it from me. Nor will your insurance company pay for it if
not in compliance.

I know what is in medical oxygen and can trace the source. Until you can do
the same with welding oxygen, it is now allowed for patient use, now matter
how much you say it is the same. FWIW, the actual cost of oxygen has
little bearing on the cost of supplying it to a patient at home. It has no
bearing on how much a supplier is paid by Medicare or insurance,as that is a
fixed amount. They give the supplier $XX per month to cover the oxygen and
all associated supplies and costs. Some patient se 2X or 3X of others, butt
he amount paid is the same. If we could supply welding O2, it would be more
profitable, not less.