Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You think wrong. Medical oxygen is used in many places aside from
hospitals. Thousands of bottle every day are used in private
homes.

Even the large tanks (5-foot tall) are used in homes?

Yes. sometimes. That is an "H" tank. Most home uses is smaller "D" tanks.
D and E tanks are generally used as portables or for emergency backup if a
concentrator fails or if there is a power failure.

So what you're saying is that welding tanks are probably safer - because
they're not as exposed to such nasty conditions and situations as the
home-use medical tanks are? And welding tanks are more likely to be
returned with some positive pressure - as opposed to home-use medical
tanks as you have just described?

Show me where I said industrial tanks are not exposed to nasty conditions.

And so far, it's just been pure speculation here that tanks
of welding O2 are *not* evacuated prior to filling, just as
supposedly medical tanks are.

Not speculation. I've filled tanks. I followed the regulations.

So go further and tell us if welding tanks are, or are not, evacuated
prior to being refilled.

I worked with medical, not industrial so I don't know the answer, nor do I
care. Medical oxygen comes with paperwork. That makes it different and the
only way it can be used for a patient. Think what you want, but unless it
is medical grade, no oxygen supplier is going to give a tank to a patient.