Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Hanig[_3_] Jay Hanig[_3_] is offline

Default Need to extend 12v winch's control cables

On 6/20/2010 10:20 PM, wrote:
On Jun 20, 2:43 pm, Jay wrote:
I was contemplating replacing the 10 gauge wire with 4 gauge wire. What
do you guys think?

Jeezus, you won't be able to hold the control up with all that heavy
wire, plus it'll cost you more than you paid for the winch!

I MIGHT go 8 gauge, but I'm pretty sure that 10 gauge will be fine.
Just extend the damn wires and quit trying to overthink things.

I was in contact this evening with the guy who first gave me the idea.
He added 40 feet of 10 gauge wire to the same winch without any apparent
problems. As he pointed out, all I'm asking it to do is pull 500 lbs of
rolling stock up 4 feet of inclined ramp... something that the winch out
to be able to do without straining in the slightest. He said his cables
don't heat up.

So that's what I'm going to do, though I still plan on keeping the run
shorter.

Thanks to everybody who took the time to reply.

Jay