Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Schematics & standards

On 6/20/2010 5:33 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Regarding resistor values: Who the hell came up with that new
way of specifying resistance values, like "10R" "or 5K6" or
whatever? And why use this system? I've always used the plain
value of the resistance: 10, 56, 5.6K, 56K, etc. Simple,
obvious, requires no interpretation. Is this some kind of
Euro thing?

I first saw that on this newsgroup. My question is what idiots came up
with it and why?

Can you really not understand it ? Or are you being deliberately
obtuse ? It has now been explained to the point where a child
could understand it. I think it was actually me who you first saw
using it here, and I'm pretty sure that we went through it all
for your benefit at the time ...

That's funny as writing out values the correct and conventional way
doesn't need explanation and a child can follow it, and it's been that way
for decades.

I'm still waiting to see values for money being written out as 44"euro
symbol"66 with cents after the end instead of 44.66.

periods are too confusing, commas are too confusing! help, we're all
stupid these days!

OK then. You started going on about writing voltages in that notation, as
though you couldn't understand that either. Do they not sell zener diodes in
America ? That notation has been used for as long as they've been around.
Like BZY88 C6V8. Have you never seen that, or perhaps you've never
understood what it meant ?

Actually, I think you misunderstood *him*. He was saying that if you're
going to use that strange system for resistances, why not also use it
for voltages (or perhaps any quantity) as well? Instead of 5.6 volts,
since you're so all-fired worried about the potential loss of a period
(sorry, full stop), then you should write it as 5V6, no? Or something
like that.

I agree with him. Why the concern about potential loss of decimal-place
information regarding resistances, but not for other parameters like
voltage?

I think this whole system is needless, and therefore needlessly obtuse,
no matter that people like you may become accustomed to it. How often
does a decimal point actually disappear? Seems as if schematics were
drawn the old "bad" way for decades, and I don't remember any big
hullabaloo about mistaken resistance values.