Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default running "structured wiring"

On Jun 20, 12:24*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
As I'm getting closer to completing rewiring my 2nd floor, I'm thinking
that I would like to put cable, internet, phone, etc. in all the
bedrooms while I'm messing around... sounds like the easiest way to do
this would be to use a "structured wiring" panel with the special cables
- 2x RG-6 and 2x CAT-6 - and I'm wondering what is the best way to wire
this. I'm thinking currently that maybe I would need to run smurf tube
in directly from the basement to the attic, and then drop down the walls
in the bedrooms. I'm thinking that i would need 3 of those cables (3
bedrooms) plus another RG-6 for a future roof antenna installation. (I
already have cable, but would like to also have the ability to watch OTA
TV. Sometimes the picture is actually better, but rabbit ears only work
well on the 2nd floor.) I'm assuming the right way to do this would be
to cut little coupons out of the wall at the floor and ceiling and use a
right angle drill with a hole saw to get through the sill
plates/floor/subfloor?

So... given those cable requirements, what size smurf tube would I need?
Or there is an unused PVC conduit running up along my chimney that was
for a PO's PV installation, could I just repurpose that? I guess what
I'm really looking for is guidance from someone who's used these
products before as to what size will make for easy pulling.

Also, in this kind of installation, do I need to have boxes at the ends
of the smurf tube or PVC, or can I just use bushings and then split the
cables from there? (do they even make bushings for smurf tube?)

Where can I *find* short lengths of large diameter smurf tube? Is that
something that would likely be available at your local electrical supply
house?

Finally, for running the cables in the basement (exposed joists) is
there any kind of small "cable tray" arrangement I could use rather than
stapling to joists or continuing smurf tube to the panel?

thanks,

Nate

Hi,
Why bother. Go wireless.- Hide quoted text -

Because i can get 1 gigabit speed on my wired network. Having both is
great especially if he has a chance before the drywall goes up.