Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

On 6/20/2010 3:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
Compressed tanks either need mechanical pumps or, most home medical
suppliers use a cascade system of tanks increasing pressure into the
smaller tanks with each on up the line.

Hummmm, so you say LOX can't be allowed to boil off into O2 gas and
be distributed all over a hospital campus or used to fill portable
O2 tanks?

No, not what I said, It is done often for use, but not for filling
tanks. What I did was is that the oxygen coming off of the LOX is not of
sufficient pressure to fill a compressed tank, you need mechanical pumps
to assist. There are small tanks that can be filled with LOX from big
tanks and that is allowed for local use or portables. You are confusing
two different forms of O2 and the equipment used for them.

UAB hospital has several hospitals next door. The VA, the
county hospital, The Eye Foundation and several clinics are all on
the same street. Many are connected by skywalks so I have to believe
they share resources.

I doubt they have a central tank to go that distance, but I've not seen
it. Post photos or drawings of the layout when you get them.

I'll see what I can find out from some of the guys who work there. If
I take pictures, the UAB police may tackle me as a terrorism suspect.
I may drive by with my camera this week.

TDD