Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] PlainBill47@yahoo.com is offline

Default Schematics & standards

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:06:43 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Cydrome Leader wrote:
Regarding resistor values: Who the hell came up with that new way of
specifying resistance values, like "10R" "or 5K6" or whatever? And why
use this system? I've always used the plain value of the resistance:
10, 56, 5.6K, 56K, etc. Simple, obvious, requires no interpretation.
Is this some kind of Euro thing?

I first saw that on this newsgroup. My question is what idiots came up
with it and why?

It's been around on this side of the pond for many a year. It uses fewer
characters and no chance of not seeing that little full stop in a poorly
copied diagram. Like everything else you need to get used to it, though.

I saw an original diagram for a bass amplifier earlier in this post.

it looked awful and it wasn't a copy. The text annotations looked like
they came from a 9 dot matrix printer and were small and hard to read. The
transistors looked lopsided and weird too. That's how it was from the
start.

I've seriously seen wet-type microfiche printer printouts that look better
and are easier to follow.

Getting bored and changing how you do stuff every few years doesn't make
schematics better looking, eaaier to follow or less ambigious by itself.

So, when do you start to write 1.5km as 1km5?

That's an excellent suggestion. Your first?

As an aside, what is it with people who seem to feel they have a
god-given right to dictate the 'right' way to do things? If they had
their way, we'd still be walking everywhere, and seeking shelter in
trees at night. Things change; usually for the better, sometimes not.
Deal with it.

PlainBill