Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default M-25 Belt slipping in drill press

wrote:
First try to clean the belt.May have years of oil and dirt on it.
Perhaps IPA, ispropal alcohol, get at any drug store. Check for glazed
spots where the belt has slipped a lot and particularly clean there.
Other possibility is the belt may be old and stiff and has a spot with
a permanent curved hard spot. That may mean a new belt. Also clean the
pullies.

Belt is dry and clean and the pulleys are clean. There don't appear to be
any glazed spots. I did measure the outer circumference and found the 25"
inch belt to be 25.75, so perhaps it has stretched a bit, and this is
indicative enough of the need for a new belt.

I'm still not sure if a 3/8" belt will work, but I'm going to pick one up
and try it. I'm also still not sure if an cogged v-belt (if that is the
correct nomenclature) belt is "grippier" than a flat belt, but since the
cogged belt is in stock, I'll pick one up anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Jon