Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default First ever "precision machining" project -- AL cutting

In article ,
" wrote:

On Jun 20, 10:21*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I find that denatured alcohol works pretty well for aluminum, and
evaporates far
faster than kerosene.

Educate me.....Why would fast evaporation be a desirable property for
a cutting/tapping fluid especially since heat is involved? I would
think just the opposite.

We are not talking of shipyard sized work pieces here.

It's easy to provide enough alcohol to flood the drilling zone despite the heat
of drilling. Then a puff of compressed air cleans everything away. Except the
burr.

Joe Gwinn