Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default M-25 Belt slipping in drill press

On Jun 20, 9:55*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
I was doing some drilling with my drill press yesterday, using an MT2 shank
25/32" bit @ 300RPM (and plenty of cutting fluid). * *It was just for
experimenting, as I have never used a bit that large before, and wanted to
see how my new press would handle it.

Everything went well, except that the front (idler pulley to spindle pulley)
v-belt (size M-25) would slip the idler pulley (spindle would stop) if I
applied too much pressure. This meant that I had to peck at it, which isn't
what I am looking to do.

So, as this is a used press, I considered getting a new belt, but it is hard
locating an M-25 belt, especially locally, and even online (couldn't find
one at mcmaster carr) *From what I can tell, the M refers to the large width
being 10mm, and the 25 refers to a 25" circumference. *Would a 3/8" (9.52mm)
belt work in this application?

What I would like is a belt that was less prone to slipping when I drill
large-ish holes (13/16" is the size I will be doing a lot of in the near
future). * Would a cogged belt be a good solution for this? * Any other
less-slippy belt suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

First try to clean the belt.May have years of oil and dirt on it.
Perhaps IPA, ispropal alcohol, get at any drug store. Check for glazed
spots where the belt has slipped a lot and particularly clean there.
Other possibility is the belt may be old and stiff and has a spot with
a permanent curved hard spot. That may mean a new belt. Also clean the
pullies.

Paul