Posted to alt.home.repair

Default running "structured wiring"

As I'm getting closer to completing rewiring my 2nd floor, I'm thinking
that I would like to put cable, internet, phone, etc. in all the bedrooms
while I'm messing around... sounds like the easiest way to do this would
be to use a "structured wiring" panel with the special cables - 2x RG-6
and 2x CAT-6 - and I'm wondering what is the best way to wire this. I'm
thinking currently that maybe I would need to run smurf tube in directly
from the basement to the attic, and then drop down the walls in the
bedrooms. I'm thinking that i would need 3 of those cables (3 bedrooms)
plus another RG-6 for a future roof antenna installation. (I already have
cable, but would like to also have the ability to watch OTA TV. Sometimes
the picture is actually better, but rabbit ears only work well on the 2nd
floor.) I'm assuming the right way to do this would be to cut little
coupons out of the wall at the floor and ceiling and use a right angle
drill with a hole saw to get through the sill plates/floor/subfloor?

So... given those cable requirements, what size smurf tube would I need?
Or there is an unused PVC conduit running up along my chimney that was for
a PO's PV installation, could I just repurpose that? I guess what I'm
really looking for is guidance from someone who's used these products
before as to what size will make for easy pulling.

Also, in this kind of installation, do I need to have boxes at the ends of
the smurf tube or PVC, or can I just use bushings and then split the
cables from there? (do they even make bushings for smurf tube?)

Where can I *find* short lengths of large diameter smurf tube? Is that
something that would likely be available at your local electrical supply
house?

Finally, for running the cables in the basement (exposed joists) is there
any kind of small "cable tray" arrangement I could use rather than
stapling to joists or continuing smurf tube to the panel?

*Those prefabricated structured cables can be very expensive and quite big.
The individual spools are cheaper. If your attic is going to remain
accessible and unfinished I would suggest that you create a hub up there
from which to feed each room.

If the existing PVC is large enough then go ahead and use it. I've never
used Smurf tubing and I don't know what the availability is. I seem to
recall seeing it at Home Depot a long time ago, but not lately. You could
just pull the cables up without a conduit. I wouldn't bother with conduit
at all. It just makes more work for the job and the cables are fine without
it.

There are tie wraps made which have a screw hole in them for attaching to
surfaces. You can screw them to walls and ceilings, make a loose loop, pull
your wires through, and then tighten up the tie wraps.

You don't necessarily need boxes for your terminations, but if there is risk
of the junctions becoming damaged, a pull box can be used. You could also
use patch panels, but they can add more to the cost.