Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

You think wrong. Medical oxygen is used in many places aside from
hospitals. Thousands of bottle every day are used in private homes. They
are single size, no manifolds, They are generally used until empty.
Valves are left open, regulators removed. They are sometimes stored in poor
environments, must basements, trunk of a car, under the sink, laundry room.

Which is why there are requirements for cleaning the tanks before
filling. After that, you are on your own. Same with medicines, etc. They
have to be manufactured and stored pre-patient to certain conditions.

And so far, it's just been pure speculation here that tanks of welding
O2 are *not* evacuated prior to filling, just as supposedly medical
tanks are.

Not speculation. I've filled tanks. I followed the regulations.

Interestingly enough, this thread has gone on for as long as it has
w/o anyone mentioning the main danger of non-medical oxygen... That the
insurance company won't pay for it (g).

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist