Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Schematics & standards

Arfa Daily wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 6/19/2010 8:35 AM Adrian Tuddenham spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Someone else made a comment in another thread here about weird
schematics (like for home appliances).

[...]
... wire-connecting/jumping convention: here I much prefer the modern
approach, which is to use a dot for a connection and no dot for
no connection, rather than the clumsy "loop" to indicate one wire
jumping over another with no connection.

I find the 'gap' convention is easy to draw (with a computer) and
extremely easy to read. It also looks tidy. Four-way junctions which
could be mistaken for crossings should never be used, they should be
staggered instead.

e.g.
http://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/compto...sAmplifier.gif

BZZZZZZT! Fail.

While the gap thing looks OK for non-crossing wires, I have to ding the
drafts-person of that schematic for the following:

o Idiosyncratic symbols for electrolytic cazapitors[1]
o Idiosyncratic ground symbol (one horizontal line????)
o And no, I disagree about those offsets for connecting wires.

That's totally unnecessary he it would be quite obvious that all those
vertical wires connect to what is obviously a bus or rail. A well-drawn
dot is all that's needed there.

(And I don't much like their transistor symbols either)

[1] With apologies to J. Liebermann.

I must say that I don't really like the staggered connections, but what's
wrong with the transistor symbols ? And the single heavy horizontal line for
the 0v rail, is very common this side of the pond. 0v rails always used to
be shown as a heavy horizontal line right across the schematic, sometimes
with a chassis symbol attached as well. These days, most schematics are so
complex, that the 0v line is now left out, and 'abbreviated' to individual
short heavy lines at each connection point on the schematic. The
electrolytic symbol is not, however, the one commonly used here, which is a
pair of rectangles, one filled in for the -ve side, and the other open for
the +ve side. Sometimes, the American convention of one straight and one
curved plate, is used.

Arfa

Americans also do crazy things like just write a + sign next to the anode
if two parallel lines of equal size are used to represent a capacitor.

On the other hand, only the cathode is marked on electrolytics for some
reason. Is there a great story behind this?