Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default Schematics & standards

Bruce Esquibel wrote:

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

They certainly look strange when you have been used to the
point-contact symbol, but you must admit they give a clear
representation of a junction transistor.

No they don't.

You guys talk about faded photocopies and the usage of 2.2K vs. 2K2, it ever
occur to you a faded photocopy of the BassAmplifier2.gif, those transistors
come out looking like diodes?

Perhaps, but there aren't many diodes with three wire connections that
they could be mistaken for. The direction of the arrows might be lost
if they became blobby, but so would the arrows on the point-contact
symbol.

I'm with Dave, I never seen that either.

It is unusual nowadays, but if you had been designing in the 1960s you
would have come across it from time to time.

Plus, what the hell is the S-N-U on the tip35c's and R-G-O on the tip36'c?

Slate-Brown-Blue. Red-Green-Orange. It is the colour code of the
wires. The output transistors are mounted on individual heat sinks and
connected to the rest of the amplifier by a wiring loom, so the colour
code is helpful for fault-finding.

I can't find a single datasheet for them that uses anything else besides
E-B-C.

I didn't think there was any need for E-B-C as that should be obvious
from the symbols.

That diagram is terrible.

We were discussing our preferred symbols and that diagram illustrates my
preferences. My personal dislikes a

1) The crossing & dot convention.

2) Transistors and valves shown as a collection of electrodes floating
in space without envelopes.

3) Power supply rails all mixed up with the earth rail at the bottom of
the drawing.

For an example of a truly horrible circuit diagram see:
http://www.audiosharing.com/archive/western/we_amp/pdf/No.8.pdf

When re-drawn it makes a lot more sense:
http://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/other/images/WE8a.gif

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk