Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

On Jun 20, 9:08*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
On Jun 20, 2:43 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[local democracy]
....But it
would be a bit like herding cats - more time and energy on the
politics than the project. It just seems an extra, unnecessary step,
thats all.....
Andrew VK3BFA.

Perhaps it depends on the local culture and expectations of the
voters. The small towns in New Hampshire that vote their annual
budgets in town meetings handle the process well enough. All have
adequate police and fire, well maintained roads, reputable schools, a
few simple parks and ball fields and not much extra, no government-
funded Millennium Domes.

The State law is that we can vote on a new budget with a limited set
of increases permitted, or if the vote fails automatically extend last
year's budget. If we want we can try to amend the dollar value of line
items. The budget committee does a good job here and usually whatever
they recommended passes. Both they and the Board of Selectmen
frequently have to explain or defend their positions.

Afterwards we discuss petitioned warrant articles, generally to add a
new position or program, and one-time expenditures like a fire truck.
Again we can amend the costs, and to some extent the language, but not
change the intent from what was publicly posted in the warrant.

All town residents present can vote, by raised hands unless three(?)
people request a secret ballot. The moderator's interpretation of
Roberts Rules of Order apply, and most of us know them pretty well by
now. like the scope and precedence of a Point of Order, not to address
people by name but rather title or The Previous Speaker, and that
every one gets to speak once before anyone can go again. And a lot of
us do stand up and speak our mind, or in my case ask pointed and
leading questions.

Most of it goes pretty smoothly; the more we argue the longer we have
to stay there and the seats aren't padded. Expensive new town
buildings take several years and some cost trimming to pass. Some
recurring pet projects never do pass and finally fade away.

The current revision of the law separated the long Saturday
deliberative session from the fill-the-oval paper ballot election to
accommodate more people at the polls. We used to have punched ballots
but we sold those miserable things to Florida long ago.

jsw