Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Surge Protectors

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Many years ago, PC and/or Byte (I forget which) used to test

suppressors.
If they failed to provide suppression, I assume the mag would have said

so.

Hilarious, PC magazine is your source for the lowdown on surge

supression
devices?

It was, 20 years ago. I don't think you get the point, though.

So what is the point? John Dvorak wrote a story about surge supressors and
how they worked with his Cumulus 386 laptop and his CompuAdd 486sx tower?

The point is that they were performing lab tests on the suppressors. These
tests included determining the clamping voltage. (I don't remember if they
were tested to destruction.) The tests were presumably performed in
accordance with industry-accepted standards.