Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Precision vs. "Regular" collets

On Jun 19, 6:55*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:

On the lathe you could do the same to center a gear blank on a
faceplate, I did (with 5C) to turn the OD of that piece. A chuck and
faceplate won't fit at the same time, but you can use a collet with
either, like to hold a depth stop for a chuck.

jsw

I should have written " use a Morse collet with either", since the 5C
spindle adapter blocks screwing on a chuck. The faceplate fits behind
it.

I have an MT2 rotary table and MT3 horizontal milling machine, plus
MT2 and 3 spindle bushings for the lathe, and occasionally some odd
mix of them solves a problem. For instance I've used the milling
machine arbor as a mandrel to turn bushings.

One of the extra features on Grizzly's gunsmith version of its lathes
is a spider to center the barrel at the left end of the spindle. My
less-precise version uses a cheap 1/2" drill chuck with a centering
shoulder that fits into the collet closer tube. The rod that it's
tightened on holds it in place and it keeps the rod from whipping
around. I pressed handle spokes into the key holes since it doesn't
have to be very tight.

jsw