Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

Jay Hanig wrote:

On 6/18/2010 11:56 PM, Some Guy wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
Even welding supply stores will stock only "medical grade" oxygen?

You people might want to read this:

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182079-1.html

*That* was a great article. The writer has great credibility to my
mind, as I am a registered nurse, former scuba instructor, and former
commercial pilot. I thought I knew a lot about oxygen. It turns out I
wasn't as well informed as I had assumed.

You guys really need to read this if you're interested in compressed
oxygen in any form.

Jay

The purity standard for welding O2 is higher than the purity standard
for medical O2. In reality all three normal grades you can get, welding,
medical and aviator exceed all of the standards. Only the analytical
grade is higher purity.