Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Schematics & standards

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Someone else made a comment in another thread here about weird
schematics (like for home appliances).

[...]
... wire-connecting/jumping convention: here I much prefer the
modern approach, which is to use a dot for a connection and no dot for
no connection, rather than the clumsy "loop" to indicate one wire
jumping over another with no connection.

I find the 'gap' convention is easy to draw (with a computer) and
extremely easy to read. It also looks tidy. Four-way junctions which
could be mistaken for crossings should never be used, they should be
staggered instead.

e.g.
http://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/compto...sAmplifier.gif

I'd rate this schematic as weird. Some parts are identified, some aren't
and the junctions are complex for no reason.

Regarding resistor values: Who the hell came up with that new way of
specifying resistance values, like "10R" "or 5K6" or whatever? And why
use this system? I've always used the plain value of the resistance: 10,
56, 5.6K, 56K, etc. Simple, obvious, requires no interpretation. Is this
some kind of Euro thing?

I first saw it in German and Dutch publications. Once you have become
accustomed to it, it is quite easy to use and it is utterly unambiguous,
even when badly photocopied.

Who photocopies stuff anymore, and periods aren't hard to read and never
were, except in places that read right to left and switch periods to
commas.

Banks don't print money is formats like 34$00. "Oh it's hard to read" is
complete crap.

What's next- the germans and dutch replacing numbers with spelled out
words?

I'm surprised the diodes past the output stage aren't indetified as
something like:

1N4k005 or
ONE-NANO-FOUR KILO CIPHER CIPER V

or something just as goofy.

Why are the speakers just 6 ohms, while other resitors have place holders
for digits?

I just don't get it- how does using multiple systems to represent simple
data make things easier?

This is why the finest and best technology comes from the USA. Instead of
trying to rewrite a 20nm process in semiconductor manufacturing as 20nm0
like europeans might form a committee to try to do, we've come out with
15nm process while everybody else is screwing around trying to solve
problems that never existed.

Just curious, has a committee come up with some cool new way to write
voltages too?

The amp uses +/- 30. Should that be written as 30v0 and (30v0) for the
negative rail?

Afer all, a "-" sign is too confusing and might indicate and error that
was crossed out, or a period that was damaged during a recent facsimile
transmission of poorly risographed copy of schematic.

Is 5kV now 5k0?