Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Schematics & standards

On 6/19/2010 1:19 PM Adrian Tuddenham spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

(And I don't much like their transistor symbols either)

For junction transistors they are incorrect, I agree, but I have become
used to them. I find it takes me a while to get my mind around the
correct symbols because they are so rarely used nowadays

Just for fun, I've replaced the point-contact symbols in that drawing
with the correct junction ones:

http://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/compto...Amplifier2.gif

The wrong symbols have become so well-estabilshed nowadays that I doubt
if most people even noticed they were wrong.

Now that's just plain *weird*.

Since when are the *conventional* symbols for (junction) transistors
considered to be for the old, obsolete point-contact ones? Every single
schematic that uses transistors--modern silicon ones, not ancient
point-contact germanium ones--uses the conventional symbols, like the
ones in the first drawing you posted.

I've *never* seen symbols like the ones in your "new, improved" drawing.
Those are just plain idiosyncratic, non-standard and weird. They look
kind of like diodes with an elongated anode.

I'll stick with the tried and true standard symbols, thank you very much.