Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 03:07:17 -0400
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

snip
Wes can update me on this, but during at least part of the time when I lived
in Michigan (1966 - 1973), it was illegal to kill porkies. Not because they
were trying to preserve them -- they do a hell of a lot of damage to
trees -- but because they were the only animal slow enough that you could
kill one with a stick. It was an ancient law that was based on the idea that
someone lost in the woods could always catch and kill a porcupine to eat.

Still had rules for the 2008 Hunting season tucked away on the computer:

===
Small Game
Early September Canada Goose Hunting A small game license entitles you
to hunt rabbit, hare, squirrel (fox and gray), pheasant, ruffed grouse,
woodcock (HIP endorsement required), quail, crow, coyote (applies to
Michigan residents only) and waterfowl (with a federal waterfowl stamp
and Michigan waterfowl hunting license, if age 16 or older) during the
open season. Opossum, porcupine, weasel, red squirrel, skunk,
ground squirrel and woodchuck also may be taken year-round
with a valid hunting license. No license is required for a resident,
residents spouse or residents children to hunt small game on the
enclosed farmlands where they live, except a federal waterfowl
stamp and state waterfowl license are required to hunt waterfowl.
===

Michigan has had no closed season on them for as long as I can
remember...

I've heard the same story you told (save them for survival situations),
but in general, not just a Michigan thing (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b