Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Basement Walls. Acceptable Plumbness

On Jun 19, 4:59*pm, Rob Kiz wrote:
First of all, thanks to those that responded to my previous post.

*I'm preparing my house for sale and two of my basement walls will
definitely need steel reinforcement beams and one will not.

I'm having trouble deciding on the other wall. It is out of plumb by
about 5/8 or 3/4 inch tops. There is some step cracking where I can
fit a quarter through the cracks and some horizontal cracking where I
can fit a penny. I had the basement inspected 8 years ago and they
determined the wall was out of plumb 3/4 inch so it hasn't moved (The
walls I am reinforcing moved about 1/4)

If I didn't reinforce this wall, how much of a deal do you think a
buyer, and their realtor and inspector, make out of this wall?

Thanks again for your opinions.

Rob

They (inspectors) tend to look on the black side to cover their arses.
They (buyers) are sure to make a big deal of it in order to beat the
price down.
The normal proceedure for this sort of thing is to cement little slips
of glass across the cracks. If the glass cracks, it indicates the
wall is still moving.
As someone else said, the movement may only take place in certain
circumstances eg frost or heavy rain or traffic. ie it may occur in
fits and starts.
One thing for sure, if there are similar properties to yours for sale
nearby, no-one will buy yours except at a big discount.
You could try getting quotations for the repair work...............hm,
dunno.