Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

On Jun 19, 3:59*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
You lot, I think, with your penchant for the rights of the individual
have local education boards, run by the citizenry(?) so any rational
analysis, or organisation of resources, would be nigh on impossible.
As would agreement between groups on how to organise.....anything.....

Andrew VK3BFA.

What soured you so badly? That's a Marxist misrepresentation.

Local self-goverment can become contentious, I admit, but usually over
the funding of someone's new pet project like an athletic team or an
art wing. The curriculum itself is set by the State and AFAIK doesn't
vary that much across the country, I haven't met any regional group
that was uniformly deficient relative to the rest. Some pretty dumb
individuals, though.

For that matter I've worked with very capable, intelligent and well-
educated Haitian refugees.

If you've read my posts you should realize that I received a good,
well-rounded education, the majority of it in the school system that
John Irving maligns in "Garp", though it was good enough for his
sister.

The usual outcome of New Hampshire grass-roots democracy is that
projects don't go through unless the proponents can convince a
majority to support them. We filter the blatantly frivolous from the
necessary easily and then argue about the borderline cases. Reporters
seeking a conflict focus on the disputed $20,000 items and ignore that
we just quietly voted $400,000 on a fire truck.

The educational interests would love to centralize control so they
could concentrate their lobbying efforts and disassociate those who
decide from those who have to pay.

jsw