Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20428 Ignoramus20428 is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

On 2010-06-19, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:52:26 -0400, Wes

On 2010-06-18, Wes wrote:
wrote:

For in-town use, I'd recommend one of the more potent air rifles, you
can still get a good springer for under $120. That should take care
of most anything up to rabbit size with proper shot placement. Ammo
is a hell of a lot cheaper than .22s, too.

Speaking of air rifles, a .22 cal or better would be a nice and quiet rifle.

I have a Gamo `1000 FPS .177 air rifle, it is nothing short of
amazing. I once became upset at squirrels, took a rifle, out of five
shots, I killed three with headshots and fatally injured the fourth.

(That should take out a woodchuck, Ig.)

I know that a pellet from this air rifle goes through 1/2 inch
plywood. (I hope that I remember right)

I heard from a few people who said that I could not kill a groundhog
with that and now you say I can. Hm

What I would REALLY not want is to injure this woodchuck, so that it
runs away and then dies in a burrow under my porch. That would really
stink!

Yup, Gamo makes a number of powerful air rifles. I used to like squirrels until I saw how
much damage they do. Now I call them tree rats and deal with accordingly.

I used the .22 for the ground rats around here. They do far more
damage than tree rats. They ruined my weed patch, erm, my lawn.