Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"LSMFT" wrote

Seems like my dad had a machine that created (or condensed) oxygen from
the air for him to breath. No bottles to change.
Why can't they do that for welding?

Oxygen concentrators remove the nitrogen and leave you with about 93%
oxygen. It has no pressure though, and it would still have to be
pressurized to about 10 psi to work for welding. Probably not impossible,
just not practical.

Though real popular with folks who melt glass with smallish torches- a
20pound LP tank and an O2 concentrator is a real popular setup.

Went to find a link for details and found this site-
http://www.sundanceglass.com/oxygen-concentrator.htm

I guess you can get one for large torches now-- advertised up to
20psi & 15LPM. [and up to $3500]

I noticed my m-i-l has an attachment on her [medical] O2 that lets her
fill a small tank. I don't know what the pressure is-- and I also see
that she still rents the big tanks, so it can't be too efficient.

Jim