Posted to alt.home.repair
Proteus IIV Proteus IIV is offline

Default Detached garage sub panel question

On Jun 14, 7:56*pm, Ed B wrote:
Situation is:
A residential home with a detached garage has a sub panel which is
serviced from a 50A breaker located in the main breaker box. *This
service feed is approximately 20'.
The house has a meter pan/disconnect where the 200A service enters the
house.
The breaker box is approximately 30' from the meter pan. *There is a
grounding rod, earthed at the meter pan entrance which goes to the
breaker panel.
The water lines are bonded.
My main question is should the sub panel in the garage be earthed or do
I use the ground wire from the main to act as my safety ground like to
carry currents from a lightning strike to the original earthed point all
the way across the house by the meter pan.

Since the garage is detached, wouldn't I want to provide a path for
lightning to the closest point?

Any advice will be appreciated. :-)
Thank you

THIS GROUP IS NOT THE BEST TO POST TIS QUERY
YOU CAN'T CATCH FISH IN YOUR BATHTUB
BUT IF YOU GO OUT TO SEA OR A LAKE YOUR ODDS IMPROVE DRAMATICALLY
[;-)]

WHERE IS YOUR LIGHTNING ARRESTER ?

GO SEE THE INSPECTOR ?

YOU DO NOT WANT A POSSIBLE LIGHTNING STRIKE ON YOUR GARAGE TO TRAVEL
BACK INTO THE HOUSE
THAT IS REASONABLE
THOUGH TRICKY

NO SAYING WHAT MAY HAPPEN TO YOUR GARAGE NO MATTER WHAT ELECTRICAL
SAFETY MEASURE YOU TAKE [:-o] I'd arrest it there at the garage if I
had expensive stuff in there
BE SAFE ANWAYGO ALONG WITH THE LOCAL ORDINANCE SAY YOUR PRAYERS AND BE
GOOD YOUR NEIGHBORS

I'LL ASK THOR NICELY TO STAY AWAY FROM YOUR HOUSE ALTOGETHER [;-)]

I AM PROTEUS