Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Schematics & standards

Arfa Daily wrote in message
news:TP%Sn.34795$Ha1.13804@hurricane...

"N_Cook" wrote in message
David Nebenzahl wrote in message
.com...

Yes, I'd go along with that. It is a far more sensible way of showing
values, and I can't see anything counter intuitive about understanding it.

still prefer zig-zags for resistors, and if I'm drawing a quick 'sketch'

of
a diagram, I always still 'jump' the non-connected lines. However, when

I'm
hand-drawing a diagram properly, with nice straight lines and 'gridded'
components, I always break one of the two crossing lines, where they

break,
so sort of the 'jumping over' convention, but without the actual bridge
being drawn. I'm not sure where I first saw this, but schematics drawn

like
it, look quite nice. There's no question about whether lines do connect or
not, and the brain fills in the little missing bit of the line without you
having to think about it. Where lines do connect, they get a nice dot on
them.

I always still use the original logic symbols for gates and counters and
latches and inverters and so on. I find the new style 'blocky' symbols

need
too much looking at, and taking into consideration of additional writing

and
symbols within the block. I always thought that the original symbols were
all sufficiently different for the most part, to allow instant

understanding
of function by quick glance alone.

I would agree that appliance schematics are often unclear, and use odd
symbols. Also, with apologies to Herr Willberg, I think that German
schematics from 20 or 30 years back, are some of the worst to follow that
I've ever seen. I defy anyone who's not German, to follow a Grundig
schematic, for instance ...

Although Dutch, some of Philips' ones from a few years back were also a
nightmare to follow. They had a very frustrating convention regarding

where
signals went when they (frequently) disappeared off the side of a page,

and
the signal was often nigh on impossible to ever find again ...

But the prize for impossible to follow schematics, has to go to the
automotive industry. Those diagrams have a convention all of their own,

and
always have done. Some of the most frustrating fault-tracing sessions of

my
life, have involved cars and the electrical diagrams for them. They are a
cross between a schematic and a wiring diagram, with symbols peculiar to

and
only understood by automotive manufacturing initiates. Every bullet and
connector is shown, using a variety of different conventions between
manufacturers. Schematics go across multiple pages, with wires that leave
often almost impossible to re-find on the next diagram. Colours, wire

gauges
and goodness only knows what other info, are all crammed onto the

diagrams.
Nightmare ...

Arfa

My beef is with caps marked 270 say, is it 27 or 270 ?, if there are no
other same series caps on the board for convention comparison, eg 471