Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:51:23 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:02:02 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jun 18, 1:42*pm, Hawke wrote:
Eating squirrels? That sounds like something Gummer would do.

Hawke

Squirrels earned their own class of rifles:
http://www.donstith.com/hawken_squirrel.html

They and rabbits are the only plentiful daytime animals worth eating
and too stupid or self-confident to hide from us.
I can sometimes see a chipmunk further away than a deer, because deer
freeze and blend in very well.

There is a game park at Stone Mountain GA with tame deer wandering
around under the pine trees. When they lie down they vanish in plain
sight, the hair looks just like pine needles. The easiest way to find
one is to look for the flies,above them, then the nose and eyes and
ears.

jsw

Actually, when I shoot a squirrel...there really isnt a hell of a lot
left to eat. The California Cat Squirrel is considered a varmint, is
often tick and flea infested and while fun to shoot at long ranges with
a decent varmint rifle..is hardly something one wishes to eat.

Youtube has plenty of 22-250 vrs Squirrel videos.

My dad loved squirrel: Indiana gray and black squirrels, not the
chittering little varmints. He shot them offhand thru the head with
his Browning SA-22 rifle, made in Belgium and chambered for shorts.
Dad regarded anything more than shorts with hollowpoints as excessive
for squirrel hunting.

He cleaned 'em, Dr. Ma cooked 'em. Yum!

He later had to sell that rifle to make ends meet, that being in a
time when Americans actually took responsibility for their lives,
livelihoods and families. He always regretted having to do that, but
in that era a man didn't expect and wouldn't allow the government to
support him or his family if there was any way to avoid that shame.
The SA-22 is the rifle held by John Moses Browning in the Wiki about
him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Browning

It was out of production for some time, but I came across one a couple
of years ago and was reluctant to leave the store without it because
it was my Dad's favorite rifle. Mary made me buy it. No kidding!
When I balked with indecision because it was kinda pricey for a .22,
she bought the rifle doing the 4473 with her name and her creds, my
VISA card. She's a woman who knows how and when to make a decision. I
like that about her. She ain't always right but her track record is
quite respectable.

It comes apart, can be easily packed in a suitcase. Dad liked that
because he could take it on the train so he could go hunting when he
returned to Indiana.

It is amazingly accurate for such a small rifle with iron sights, and
it is a lot of fun to shoot even though I can't see iron sights like I
could as a youth and never could like my Dad could. I was about as
good as any the Army had at the time, nowhere near as good as Dad.

The Ruger 10-22 is a very popular rifle. I can see why it's popular,
but it isn't in the same league or even the same galaxy as the John
Moses Browning designed Browning SA-22 semiautomatic .22 rimfire
rifle.