Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default First ever "precision machining" project -- AL cutting

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

A pneumatic drill isn't nearly as likely to snap a tap as an electric
drill. If the tap gets in trouble the pneumatic drill will stall,
saving both the tap and the job. It still takes a steady hand, though.
I've done it with #10 and 1/4" but I wouldn't try it with 6-32 or
smaller.

An ordinary battery operated drill works fine in most cases, especially ones
with a clutch.

The 6-32 tap tends to break just looking at the thing, but that is not due
to it being a #6 screw, it is due to the ultra-course pitch. 6-40 works
much better.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.