Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Far off topic: old fart chuggin' on

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:46:20 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

Mary suggested that I do my 3 miles indoors today since it was hot and
muggy out. Nuh-uh, winter is long enough. It was indeed hot and
muggy but there was a brisk south wind.

Yup, living up north sorta makes us less heat tolerant. It was a b*tch at work today on
the plant floor. Our computer we use is in the parts cage, management considers the parts

.380 is for social guns, guns we carry when we can't conceal a real gun.

I compared the LCR (.38 spl revolver) and LCP (.380ACP semiauto) at
the range a couple of days ago. I shot consistently low and left with
the LCR the first time at the range but I shot much better this time.
The LCR carries just fine in a pocket holster when wearing jeans,
which is about all I ever wear. The flatter LCP would be more suitable
for "dress pants" but I doubt if I'd want to be armed anywhere I'd go
in dress pants.

I've lately been carrying the LCR loaded with +P polymer hollowpoints
on my walks.

.45 is for guns we carry going into places we don't care to go to.

Being retired, I don't go places I don't care to go! Well, not in
that sense anyway. I don't like going to hospitals, but when a
spouse, neighbor or friend is there I visit.

Hint, I carry a .45
when I'm near Detroit. It used to be a Security Six .357 before I bought a Ruger P90DC.
Some day, a 1911 but for now, the P90DC is perfect for defense. DA/SA. No safety to
worry about, not a chance that improvised carry will cause a unintended discharge like
with a Glock. I'm not banging on Glocks. In a holster, the rest of the safety system,
they are fine fighting handguns. I'm a revolver guy at heart. I don't mind a heavy
trigger pull for 21 foot or less distances which seems to be the threat line *if* you can
get to your gun.

I know why the current batch of semis are liked, pull it out, squeeze trigger, don't worry
about safety. Stuff happens fast, less steps, better chance of winning. I just don't
ever want an AD.

I thoroughly enjoy shooting my 1911's but I wouldn't carry one. It's
too easy to forget about the safety under stress. .40S&W and .45ACP
are very comparable in efficacy and there are a lot of choices in .40.
I've fired a friend's XD in .45ACP a number of times, just can't get
to like it. Maybe my hand isn't quite big enough to feel like I've got
hold of that fat double-stacker. I have a XD in .40 that I like a
lot. It was my first handgun since military days. It's quite similar
to a Glock but it has the additional backstrap grip safety like a
1911.

Sounds like an win win solution. She is brighter than many sales clerks.

Oh yeah! They get some doozies at Wal-Mawrt but there was nothing
slow about this gal.