Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

On 6/18/2010 10:52 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On 2010-06-18, Ed wrote:

id wrote in message
I think that he lives under a porch. It is furry and the size of a
big cat.

http://igor.chudov.com/Animal/

Groundhog (woodchuck).

http://www.frugalyankee.com/files/groundhog_main.jpg

http://mypunchbowl.files.wordpress.c.../groundhog.jpg

I have a recipe for woodchuck in sour cream, from the old Gourmet
magazine,
should you need it.g

I tried eating squirrel, it was disgusting. I prefer chicken.

Funny you mention squirrel. A guy I know from my gun club was telling me a
couple of weeks ago that he eats squirrel. I was surprised. He told me he
makes a shepard's pie and used squirrel meat in it. I didn't say much
about it to him but I was amazed that anyone actually ate squirrel these
days. I'd heard of it in the olden days from hillbillies and such but not
today.

This hillbilly still eats them. I fry the young ones with rosemary and
scallion or chives, and either braise the older ones or make a Brunswick
Stew -- the real original recipe, with squirrel.

He also said he went on rabbit hunting trips and killed up to 100 rabbits.
This guy grew up in the boonies and was a real cowboy when he was a young
man so I can understand where he learned this stuff. It just goes to show
you that you never know what other people are up to. Eating squirrels?
That sounds like something Gummer would do.

Me, too. They're delicious. The young ones are a lot like rabbit; the older
ones taste like turkey dark meat.

Iggy just did something wrong. d8-)

One man's meat is another man's poison still seems to apply. The older I
get the less meat I eat. Now it's only turkey, ham, and chicken and I'd
like to eat even less than I do now. As someone who grew up in a family
where we ate meat three meals a day not eating meat almost seems a
sacrilege. But now that I know more about the process of where "meat"
comes from the less appealing it is. Count me as someone who would never
eat any exotic or weird kinds of meat. I just have this memory from the
Beverly Hillbillys with "Granny" yelling out to Jed that the possum or
squirrels would be done right soon. Grosses me out. I think it did for
most people then too, which was what they intended. Nope, squirrels are
for feeding and watching play, not eating. If they were for eating
they'd be in the meat counter in a Styrofoam container.

Hawke