Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Schematics & standards

Someone else made a comment in another thread here about weird
schematics (like for home appliances).

Wanted to get a small discussion going on that topic. My take: there are
good and bad standards for schematics. Personally, I can't stand the
ones that use rectangle shapes for resistors, instead of the traditional
zigzag that [insert name of deity here] intended to be used. (And even
here there are lots of variations, like old-fashioned schematics that
took this symbol rather literally and sometimes had ten or twelve zigs
and zags, as if an actual resistor was being constructed on paper).

Likewise the wire-connecting/jumping convention: here I much prefer the
modern approach, which is to use a dot for a connection and no dot for
no connection, rather than the clumsy "loop" to indicate one wire
jumping over another with no connection.

Regarding resistor values: Who the hell came up with that new way of
specifying resistance values, like "10R" "or 5K6" or whatever? And why
use this system? I've always used the plain value of the resistance: 10,
56, 5.6K, 56K, etc. Simple, obvious, requires no interpretation. Is this
some kind of Euro thing?

In general, some schematics just look and feel nicer than others. A
well-drawn schematic is a pleasure to read. A bad one--lines too thin or
too thick, misshapen symbols, idiosyncratic interpretations, etc., just
don't look right.

Feel free to add your own schematic pet peeves here.