Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

Default left hinge door, right hinge storm

On 6/17/2010 1:49 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Jun 17, 12:38 pm, wrote:
On 6/17/2010 9:21 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

We've got a left-hinge door, and my husband wants to install the storm
door
right-hinge. Here's a picture of our setup:

http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/house/o...ontOfHouse.jpg

(It shows the old door and storm both of which were installed left-
hinge.)

It seems really inconvenient to me, and I'm trying to talk him out of
it
(although I expect to lose, as I have lost every damned point on our
current project.)

Does anybody have anything that I could use to persuade him?

Thanks,

Cindy Hamilton

Although It is not recommended I can see why your husband wants the
storm door to swing the wrong way. People approach your front door
from the left. If your door was installed properly it would swing into
the face of someone coming up the sidewalk. A door opening the wrong
way would welcome your guests. Opening the other way would be like the
opposite. They would have to walk around the open door. Your husband
is a thoughtful man. He' s thinking of others instead of himself in
this issue. You might want to hang onto this one.

Well, I do intend to hang onto him; I've already invested a quarter-
centry
of my life (that's almost half at this point).

Our guests universally use the back door. Pretty much only
the pizza guy, door-to-door solicitors, and I use the front. (And
I only use the front to interact with the pizza guy and fetch the
newspaper.)

I suppose I should resign myself to losing this one.

Things like the door are of little consequence. There are more
important battles to be decided, like what kind of toppings go on the
Pizza. There's a little place nearby that makes Pizzas to die for. If
my toppings get on her side I could die for it.

LdB

Who knows? Maybe I'll like his way. He usually is right.
I don't know why I bother to argue with him.

Cindy Hamilton