Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Harmonic resonance shower

On Jun 17, 9:57*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I was cleaning one of my vacation rentals. *I turned on the MOEN shower
water control. *In the middle range, where the warm water would be, there
came a pulsing sound that sounded very regular and harmonic. *If you turned
it to hotter or colder, it went away, but if you approached middle again, it
would start, and make an audible sound whoomp whoomp whoomp. *The water also
varied in strength, and spurted slightly with the harmonic waves.

Any ideas of what is causing this or how to cure it? *Install water hammers?

Steve

Steve-

Which model is it? Pos-i-temp? or ioDigital? or?

Does it just control temp or temp & flow?

How is the water pressure at the house? Too high or too low might
give the valve issues.

Sounds like the unit is "hunting" / "oscillating" about the set
point.

I would try (if possible) throttling back the hot or cold water supply
to the shower valve.
This will give the shower valve a different input condition and
perhaps the change will be enough to get the vibe to stop.

How old is the unit? If its in a vacation home, it probably has pretty
low mileage.

Moen has good customer service & the warranties are decent too.
I would suggest called or emailing.

cheers
Bob