Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Small, light, quiet compressor that isn't a piece of junk?

On Jun 18, 11:19*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:05:56 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote the following:

Looking for a small compressor for portable use with a upholstery
stapler, inflating tires and that sort of thing. It needs to be
light enough (and/or maybe have big cushy wheels) so that the better
half can move it around 'erself.

She prolly couldn't load it into a truck bed (unless she curls 110lbs)
or car trunk (yeah, right), but they're easy enough to roll around.

These are better than you might expect:
http://www.gearinstalls.com/pepboys.htm

I bought the MF-1040 to stay within a reasonable lighter outlet fuse
rating. The most practical 12V power source is probably a jump starter
which you can use plugged into the wall indoors or independently
wherever the tire went flat. I used it successfully with one that was
~15 years old and down to about one Amp-Hour capacity.

The QD hose fittings are proprietary. The Schrader end screws on so
you could tee a valve stem into the plumbing of a small air tank. I
think whether or not it would be satisfactory for a stapler depends on
frequency of use, patience and willingness to start the staples with
low air pressure and then tap them home with a small hammer. For the
abused free furniture I reupholstered for a theatre set that was the
best plan anyway.

jsw