Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rechargable batteries and information

Bodincus wrote:
(18/06/10 15:38), The Natural Philosopher:
Bodincus wrote:
(18/06/10 13:58), Chris Blunt:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:31:24 +0100,
wrote:

B) However, that proves my point. The relationship between voltage and
residual power is non-linear, and the residual power inside the
battery
- whatever type it is - is not related to the voltage between the
dipoles.

So WHY the devices are still using voltage as a value to measure if a
battery is still delivering the needed power?

What else could they measure?
During idle time, small bursts through a fixed resistance circuit to
measure both voltage (and its drop under load), and current.
A bit of computation and you can measure how much oomphf the cell has
left.
BTW, I hereby claim Intellectual Property for this idea.

claim away.

Its nonsense.

Knowing what current you can draw is meaningless.

C'mon, New Scientist, enlighten us...
Why should it be meaningless???
Bah...

Because teh internal impedance of a secondary cell is not a function of
its charge state by and large, and measuring it is fraught with danger
of any serious current is drawn.

PLONK