Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default What length screw to use?

"Joe J" wrote in message
I'm attaching 2 x 4s to the studs in a finished garage. Finished with
1/2" drywall. Are 3" screws long enough, I have a bunch leftover from a
different project? The 2 x 4s will be holding 5/8 plywood for shelves.
Or, should I just bite the bullet and go with 3 1/2?

Thanks

Let's do the math. 2 x 4's are actually 1 1/2" thick some 1 5/8". Drywall
1/2", less an eighth or so for recess. That gives you about an inch of
penetration into the stud that will hold it all. I'd use them.

Steve