Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage hose bib causes water in basement

"Matt" wrote
My wife and I are buying a new home and closing tomorrow. When the
hose bib that is installed in the garage is turned on (with no hose
attached) it sprays water onto the wall where the hose bib is, down
onto the sill plate and it works its way either between the sill plate
and the foundation, or between the sill plate and the drywall. In
either event, the result is water leaking down the basement wall onto
the basement floor. The builder said that is normal, and just not to
use the hose bib without a hose attached. Can that really be true?

The typical hose bib does splash quite a bit. They are easily tamed with a
short hose or an aerator. Not seeing yours, it may be worse than average
though.

I'd be more concerned about the fact that water gets through from the
garage. Can I assume this is inside, not outside? Put some caulk on the
seam.