Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus24975 Ignoramus24975 is offline

Default Mild steel and stregth

On 2010-06-18, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 04:57:46 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

So even if it is critical like on a trailer frame, 6011 should be
fine? I can weld best with it. People who are good at welding think it
is junk and anyone who welds with anythign less than 7018 is stupid...

If you look in a welding reference -- the Lincoln Procedure Handbook
is a good inexpensive one -- you'll find plenty of pre-qualified welds
using 6011 or 6010 that meet code and commercial quality standards, as
long as the base metal has good weldability. Ignore anyone who tells
you 6011 is junk. If you're welding plain low carbon steels, use 6011
if that's what you're most comfortable with.

Ned, when I tried to use 6011, I had an awful amount of spatter near
the welds. Any idea what cuold I do to prevent it (not counting the
antispatter spray).

Plain structural steel is A36, square and rectangular tube is usually
A500, and 1018 is the most common alloy for cold finished bars. Stick
to those materials and don't bother with 7018.