Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby James Waldby is offline

Default Small, light, quiet compressor that isn't a piece of junk?

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:05:56 -0400, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
Looking for a small compressor for portable use with a upholstery
stapler, inflating tires and that sort of thing. It needs to be light
enough (and/or maybe have big cushy wheels) so that the better half can
move it around 'erself.

Any suggestions? One of those noisy little pancake offshore things only
lasted a few hours (and that was too long at that dBA level).

$100 or $200 would be okay.
eg. how bad do you think this thing is?
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-hp-21...sor-94667.html

I have a couple of smaller units, with similar compressors, like
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-hp-10-gallon-115-psi-air-compressor-90234.html
(one in basement, one in garage) which have been working ok for several
years. The one you linked to looks like a good buy and looks like it can
be wheeled around easily enough, but due to weight won't be practical to
take up stairs frequently. (Down stairs is easy...) If you watch for
sales on air hoses and quick connects, it doesn't cost a lot to get a
number of 25' and 50' hoses so that you don't need to work in the same
room as the compressor. These compressors are noisier than most drills,
lathes, or mills I've seen, but not as noisy as tablesaws or angle
grinders.

--
jiw