Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Kevin's Conundrums...

Fred Holder wrote:
On Jun 17, 11:50 am, Kevin Miller wrote:
I haven't seen one of Mac's Musings in a while, so humbly offer up this
installment of Kevin's Conundrums instead. I'm stumped. When glue is
in the bottle, it doesn't dry. I presume because of the lack of
significant contact with air. You smear it on a piece of wood and slap
another piece on it, and presto, it dries. But there's no air there
either! What's up w/that? Magic wood fairies or something?

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaskahttp://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Hello Kevin,

An interesting thought. I'm hardly an expert on glue; however, I've
found that if glue is not spread thin enough between two pieces of
wood, it may not dry well either. I suspect that the wood extracts the
moisture from the thin coat of glue and allows it to set up.

Hmmm - an interesting thought. I mostly use the Titebond equivalent of
Gorilla Glue which is moisture activeated, but last night I was gluing
up with good old Elmer's Wood Glue and it got me puzzling. Maybe it's
not oxidation at all like I'd always assumed, but in fact good old
literal drying...

....Kevin