Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cross-Slide Cross-Slide is offline

Default Real Metalworking -- Control Line Bellcrank Mount

On Jun 17, 3:52*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
The "old way" is to mount a plywood plate in the middle of the wing,
then mount the bellcrank to the plate by screwing down a bushing to
retain the bellcrank.

The "new way" is to use small plywood plates top & bottom, with an
all-thread steel rod mounting that bushing in the middle of the wing.
Because the plates are much closer to the strong points of the wing
spar, it takes less material to bring the bellcrank forces (which by the
rules get tested to ten times the weight of the plane) out to where they
need to be.

This is my "new way", just because. *The big aluminum post replaces the
bushing (I hope Nylon wears well working against aluminum), the little
aluminum bushing determines the spacing of the plywood plates, and the
post rides in the plates on 1/4" pegs, which gives a lot more area to
bear on the plywood than an 8-32 all-thread rod would.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/belcrank_mount.jpg

--
Tim "Over Engineered" Wescott
Control system and signal processing consultingwww.wescottdesign.com

Nylon LOVES to absorb water. How will this work on damp days when the
nylon swells up?