Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Bell rings when garden gate opens?

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Not exactly the same, but I have an external PIR sensor on the garden path
which wirelessly triggers a battery powered doorbell which I keep with me if
I am in the garden, workshop, etc. That way I can hear visitors if I am out
of range of the rather feeble doorbell. The PIR is wired up to an old
wall-wart to save faffing around with batteries. eBay for PIR bell. Might be
useful if you don't have convenient wiring runs to the gate (like me). But
it can get triggered by birds occasionally