Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

On Jun 17, 1:34*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 22:26:05 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

wrote:

wrote
GENERALLY the tranny problems (in the last 15 years) can be almost
eliminated if the fluid is changed often enough with the right fluid.
Once every 15000 miles, or maximum 2 years, is about right.

Of all the cars I've owned, only one ever needed tranny work. *It was the
only one I ever changed the fluid in too. *Never again. *No way a trans
should need a fluid change in 15000 miles.

If you are driving a Chrysler and you doi NOT change the fluid, it's
your funeral. Leaving the old fluid until you have a problem
GUARANTEES it will fail just after you change the fluid - as does
using the wrong fluid.
250,000 miles on a Chrysler automatic is NOT out of reach, or even out
of the ordinary, if it is "properly" serviced.

On most Chrysler trannies, from what I hear, "properly serviced" means
servicing far more often than even the "severe service" schedule
published in the official documentation, however. (talking about FWD
here, not the old, better-built 727/904 etc.)

nate