Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:37:18 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote
Are you sure about that 90K limit?

That's what the dealer told him. I don't know if he still has the
manual, but I can ask.

And for what's it's worth, your thoughts are the same as what I've
tried to say a few times in this thread - why wait?

It is an interference engine

http://www.gates.com/part_locator/in...cation_id=3598

http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...428-1466_web.p
df&folder=brochure The Gates manual says 105,000 miles.I noticed
after posting this, the kit also comes with a water pump.
Thatanswers a dispute of a couple of earlier posters about it.

I strongly advise against using aftermarket timing belts or water pumps on
any Honda or Toyota. Neither has the durability of genuine OEM.

But then if all you're expecting is to get another 40-50K or so before you
get rid of the car, go ahead and use aftermarket. Let the new owner deal
with any early failures.

I'd dissagree. High end aftermarket is as good as, or better than OEM
in MANY cases. Just don't buy the aftermarket stuff based on price.

"If you want first quality oats, you need to be willing to pay first
quality price. If you are willing to settle for oats that have already
been through the horse, they DO come a bit cheaper"