Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:32:33 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Are you sure about that 90K limit?

That's what the dealer told him. I don't know if he still has the
manual, but I can ask.

If he doesn't, he can join Honda's Ownerlink site:
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp

From there he can get the /official/ maintenance schedules. These would be
/Honda's/ schedule, not the dealer's moneymaking attempts.

And for what's it's worth, your thoughts are the same as what I've
tried to say a few times in this thread - why wait?

Right. If you keep the car even to 150K, you're spending money for the belt
change /anyway/. So better to get it done before the probability of
breakage increases.

That engine is an "interference" design. This means that, should the belt
slip or break, there is a chance valve(s) and pistons could collide. If
that happens, you're about doubling the cost of the belt change.

Double won't even come CLOSE. Much more like 5 times.