Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

On Jun 17, 3:23*am, Larry Fishel wrote:
First, sorry I lost track of who was who and thought your post stating
that you left out that info on purpose was speculation by someone
else.

On Jun 16, 3:41 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you not think that the mechanics (plural) who said "wait" know
whether or not the "failed belt causes damage or just leaves him
stranded"?

I would hope they would know that.

Assuming they took that into consideration and still said "wait",
doesn't that bring it back to the "decision process" independent of
the vehicle?

I don't follow your logic at all. The vehicle IS part of the decision
process. Maybe you should ask THEM why they came to the conclusion
they did. If they don't say anything about what will happen to the
engine if the belt fails (or say nothing will happen), continue
looking until you find someone who does. Maybe they just believe that
there is very little chance of it failing, which is the only way I can
imagine the type of engine not figuring in.

Alternatively, we still might be "failing to communicate" and by
"independent of vehicle" you really do mean that you are asking for a
decision process that includes a step like: "if the vehicle has an
interference engine do A, otherwise do B".

"I don't follow your logic at all."

Completely understandable! I'll try to explain what I meant.

I was trying to say that the mechanics did take the vehicle type into
consideration and came to the conclusion that it's OK to wait, based
strictly on how long they've seen the belts last.

But from the consumer's standpoint, I don't think waiting to replace a
belt at 110K if you aren't planning on keeping the vehicle to 220K
makes sense. If the odds are that you'll get rid of vehicle somewhere
between 110K and 180K, you'll need a belt anyway, so why put yourself
at risk? And I mean any level of risk, stranded or destroyed engine.
There's no need for it.

In that respect, I don't think "interference" enters into the
decision, since, even if you believe the mechanic's time frame, you'd
never enter the "danger zone" any way because you'd change the belt
before 100K anyway.

I'm not sure if that makes any more sense, but I tried!