Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default left hinge door, right hinge storm

On Jun 17, 10:21*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
We've got a left-hinge door, and my husband wants to install the storm
door
right-hinge. *Here's a picture of our setup:

http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/house/o...ontOfHouse.jpg

(It shows the old door and storm both of which were installed left-
hinge.)

It seems really inconvenient to me, and I'm trying to talk him out of
it
(although I expect to lose, as I have lost every damned point on our
current project.)

Does anybody have anything that I could use to persuade him?

Thanks,

Cindy Hamilton

You've received some reasons why *not* to do it, but I'm curious...

Has he shared with you his reasons for changing the current set-up?

Maybe there is something he is aware of that we're not.

The door to my shop in the basement is "opposite-hinged" but there is
a reason.

The shop is an extension off of the back of the house, but is only
half as wide as original house.

The door is marked by the X.

Yard Yard
------------
Yard X |
| |
S | |
------------ |
| |

(Not to scale)

The interior door opens against the back wall instead of into the
shop.

The storm door opens towards the original house instead of into the
yard. There's a shed in the corner (S), the storm opens towards that.

Access is easier with that set-up, since both doors are out the normal
traffic path, especially when carrying material from the yard into the
shop.