Posted to alt.home.repair
Hell Toupee[_4_] Hell Toupee[_4_] is offline

Default left hinge door, right hinge storm

On 6/17/2010 9:21 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
We've got a left-hinge door, and my husband wants to install the storm
door
right-hinge. Here's a picture of our setup:

http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/house/o...ontOfHouse.jpg

(It shows the old door and storm both of which were installed left-
hinge.)

It seems really inconvenient to me, and I'm trying to talk him out of
it
(although I expect to lose, as I have lost every damned point on our
current project.)

Does anybody have anything that I could use to persuade him?

What I've learned from sorry experience is that this approach requires
people to hold the outer door wide open while reaching to open the
inner door. Wind gusts will then snap the outer door to its fullest
extension (and a little beyond, sometimes) which is hard on the outer
door. Not to mention that a fully-opened outer door means the wind,
rain or snow then blasts into the house once the inner door is opened.
So having both doors hinged on the same side minimizes exposure to the
elements.